Dodge Repair/Code 23, '96 Ram 3500 5.9L Diesel Cummins

Question
QUESTION: Truck will not start at first attempt (cold or hot). I have to try several times before it will start. Once it cranks, it runs fine. If I stop and turn off engine, it might crank on any unknown number of tries. ie.. first, second,,fifth.  I did the ignition switch test (on-off-on-off-on).  The codes I received was 1-2, 2-3, 5-5.
Can you tell me what the codes mean.

Thanks!!

ANSWER: Hi Greg,
The 23 code is relevant as it says the intake air temp sensor reading is either to high or to low to be correct. That sensor is probably located on the intake tubing that goes into the throttle body along the pathway from the air filter housing. So look for a small device in that tube and check its wiring harness for damage. If none is found you might want to replace that sensor. I don'd have a manual for that vehicle but if you can't find the sensor tell me which L size engine that is and I can look in an '04 manual that I do have to see if I can find it. Correcting that problem may help with the starting difficulty.
The 12 code just means the battery was disconnected in the recent past, and the 55 means end of code readout.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: Thanks for your fast response.  I have a 5.9l Cummins diesel.
I am not sure if I could see any type of tube.

BUT, I find something else. I think it may be my problem. Tell me your thoughts.

On the driver side mounted on a bracket is a metal can the size of a "D" battery only fatter, seams to have a plunger rod with spring underneath the bracket. When I squeeze and depress the plunger/spring the truck cranks on first try. I repeated the process a couple of times, and (right)now the truck will start, no problems.  I am not sure how it will operate after I give it a few hours.

Question???  What is the device with the plunger???

Answer
Hi Greg,
I can't identify the device of which you speak but perhaps it is a valve of some sort with a valve stem that is 'sticky'. You could try spraying a small amount of WD-40 on the plunger where it enters the body of the device which might correct the situation.
In the '04 manual the air intake temp sensor is shown to be located on the air filter box just at the point where the outgoing air from the box enters a corrugated pipe that goes to the engine throttle body. So examine that air filter box to see if there is such a device there and that would be the place to look for a solution to the 23 code.
Please rate my answer and consider giving me a nomination to be volunteer of the month.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston