You are here:

Dodge Repair/torque converter clutch solenoid: '01 Dodge Minivan


QUESTION: Hello Mr Finston I have a  2001 dodge grand caravan and the torque converter solenoid is bad and I was wondering where the  solenoid is located and is it a job that I can do myself or should i take it to a professional?

ANSWER: Hi Michael,
If this is a 3-speed non-electronic automatic transaxle (31TH), then to replace the solenoid you would have to raise the vehicle onto jack stands, then drop the pan on the underside of the transaxle and collect the fluid, then remove the filter and finally drop the valve body from the opening created by removing the pan. Once you have the valve body removed the solenoid for the torque converter can be replaced from its location on the side of the removed valve body. Then you reverse the process of inserting the valve body, etc. Whether you can do this yourself is something only you can judge. I can copy the pages from the manual that show the process and share them with you by email. But first be sure that you have the 3-speed transaxle and let me know your email address.
Don't use the @ symbol when telling me you email address, but rather use "at" so that the address will not be automatically erased by the web site.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Ok thanks for your timely response so where should I look to see if it is a 3 spped trans or not... the digital gear selector says this:P R N D 3 L  would that indicate that it is a 3 speed trans hope this helps.

ANSWER: Hi Michael,
It appears to be a 3-speed except it should be a "2" on the selector rather than a "3". Also, if it were the electonic transaxle it would have an "OD" which you don't have on your selector.
So let me know your email address, but don't use the @ symbol (spell it out) and I'll send you the pages that show what you would have to do if you did it yourself.
Plese 'rate' my answer (see below).

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks my email is and lastly where do i get a replacement part for the repair i checked autozone, advanced auto and they dont have it would this be a dealer item or would NAPA auto center carry it thanks for all your help.

I don't know if NAPA has it and if not then it would be dealer part only.
I just found that the manual for your transmission is one that I only have in print format so will have to photocopy and postal mail to you. There are 9 pages to copy and the postal stamp. If you will agree to send me back three 44-cent stamps after you receive the pages to cover my costs I will go ahead and copy and mail them to you. But I need to know your postal mailing address.

Dodge Repair

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roland Finston


Get a Free Fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or briefly unavailable so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2012 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.


Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

Awards and Honors
"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).

©2017 All rights reserved.