Dodge Repair/'08 Caliber: head and fog lamps/wipers don't work

Dear Sir,
My 2008 2.0L SXT Dodge Caliber (with Fog), has no headlamps, wipers, fogs that are working. Fuses are good. My Daughter (in NC) told me she had similar issue. Dealer replace multi function switch. Would both switch stalks need replaceing???? or is there a housing or a swith that both stalk would connect to before the harness?   Seems strange both stalks out same time?

Hi Sean,
The common connection between the lights and the wipers that are not functioning is that both are handled by a module on the steering column called the "steering control module" which apparently is connected to both of the stalks. The other common aspect is that the power for that module is from 2 fuses in series: first a 30 amp fuse #8 and then a 10 amp fuse #17. So you might want to check both of those for the possibility that one has a subtle crack in its internal wire.
Do any other functions of the two stalks work? If so what are they?
The only other possibilities I can imagine would be that a common ground wire is loose, but it would have to be specfic for just the head, fog, and wiper but not for the other functions of the stalks which seems implausible OR that the digital communication wire from the column to the intergrated power mocule is faulty. but that would presumably affect all the functions at the steering column.
Given the packaged electronics (modules) and that no internal wiring is provided for them, it seems we are left with only being able to consider the fuses and the grounds.
One idea would be to get a fault code readout of the memories of all the modules that are involved to see if a fault code number comes out which would point specifically to the problem area. Often you can get a free readout at a nationwide autoparts store, such as Autozone, or an independent shop will do it for around $40. I would pursue such a readout before buying any parts in hopes that you will cure the problem that way. Please let me know what you learn/find.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).