Dodge Repair/2000 dodge caravan heater problem

QUESTION: the calibaration test passede....the cool down failed.....but it said if the evaporator was cold to begin with that it would and to let it warm up b4 u do the test....well how can it warm up with no i dont know if the cool down passed or failed for sure really

ANSWER: The cooldown test is of course not an issue, the issue is the heat calibration which apparently the unit passed. So again, as you suggested the temp lever varaible resistor may be the reason. So I would check that out.

QUESTION: ok the air blend selector tested ok......i could even hear the motor moving as i slid it back and forth with the blower on lowso i guess the next question is.....what is the first thing the calibration test checks....because what ever it is is what lets the hot air thru during the test but not after....may it be a different door or vent?

The blend door actuator is working, apparently, and if you have coolant flow through the system then the air should be warm when the lever is at the warm end of the travel. Check that both of the hoses that go through the firewall are about equally warm. If so, then perhaps although the actuator is moving the door itself is not moving but the fact that you got warm air during the test must mean that it is connected in some manner. It is supposed to be calibrated at this point but you could try the calibration again. Did all the LED's stop blinking after the first calibration?
You may have to remove the under panel at the steering column and go inside to get to the far left hand end of the HVAC unit where the several actuators are located, remove the blend door actuator, and then try moving the door by hand to see how it feels in terms of its freedom to move.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).