Dodge Repair/1992 Dakota

Question
1992 Dakota 6cyl,  fuel inj, auto trans

Started doing this only occasionally and would start after only a few tries.

Often would start and idle but would start backfiring and loss of power at close to 2k rpms.  Then suddenly run fine the rest of the day.

Now, year later and 3 different shops that could not id the problem, it is much worse.

Will not start and run until engine is warms up.

When first start engine will run at high idle 12-15 k for about 2 seconds then stops.

Must keep working gas peddle to keep it running (10+ minutes).

Will not accelerate over 2k rpm, back fires and runs ruff until warm,

At a certain point (when warm enough) its like a switch is turned on and it suddenly runs fine.

Once running will some times cut off for a second as if the key was turned off and back on quickly, and sometimes engine will rev up with no power to the drive train, like transmission is slipping for 2-3 seconds (may be a different issue).

Does not cause it to code.

Answer
Hi Steve,
I don't have truck manuals for the '90's, but let me ask which 6 cyl engine is in the vehicle (displacement in L)?
My experience is that when you have an issue with a no start or a poor idle, or loss of power with no code and no other explanation is that the exhaust gas recirculation valve is likely sticky in its operation due to build up of exhaust gas crud on the valve stem. If you have an egr valve on that engine then you should notice that between the body of the valve which is connected to the narrow exhaust pipe that supplies it and the round vacuum-operated top of the valve that there is a flange which surrounds partially from view the valve stem. That stem has a slot into which you can insert the tip of a screwdriver that then allows you to move the stem back and forth (spring-action inside the valve will be noticed as it is trying to close the valve). Spray some WD-40 or similar solvent onto the stem where it enters the valve body and then 'exercise' the stem some more to loosen the action. It should close to a firm stop via the internal spring. I hope this helps. Let me know.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston