Dodge Repair/2003 Dodge Ram Quadcab 4.7 L

I have changed both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, and still have the same problem.  The engine seems to have a miss .  I have pulled one plug wire at a time to see which one it might be with no successful indication.  It misses the same no matter which one I remove.  I do not remember the codes from the diagnostic tester, but they indicated the two sensors I have replaced.  My question is what causes the sensor to give their codes, and do I have a more serious problem than just a sensor?  I would think so due to the situation I have described.  I am wondering if it could be a stretched or loose timing chain.  PLEASE HELP.

Hi Blaine,
If the codes were 0320 and 0340 then those indeed are for the crank and cam sensors. Otherwise let me know. When the signal from the sensors are weak or missing the codes will be set. I would suggest that you get another code readout, after briefly disconnecting the battery and then driving it for a day or so to allow for fresh codes to be set if any. Then let me know.
A general miss, code 0300, has a long list of possible causes both fuel/ignition/mechanical so it would be hoped you will find something more specific. But I would not assume anything without attempting to get fresh code(s).
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

PS: It may be a 'mixture' problem such as can occur with a faulty exhaust gas recirculation valve. However, in my '04 manual which is the closest I have to your '03 I don't see the use of an egr valve ao that would not explain it if you don't have that. Is the smell that of unburnt fuel, or coolant?

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).