Dodge Repair/2005 Dodge Truck

QUESTION: My 2500 has about 115 K, I just replaced the alternator, belt, had the trans flushed, brake and power steering changed.

A few months back I kept getting an error code and found out it was a couple of sensors, timing and trans.. forgot codes but changed then and it fixed issue.

After I got out of shop, now when I start the car I get a check gauges light and I notice my oil gauge is not working, then when I stop car and turn back on the warning light goes off and my gauge is working.  Very odd, no pattern I can tell, but it seems to happen more if I start the car fast after putting key in, if a pause a few secs it does not happen as often?

I am thinking maybe a bad gauge, but want to be sure it is not a bad pump or maybe other issues?  Any ideas?

ANSWER: Hi Rick,
I assume this is a Ram truck, correct?
There is a cluster self-diagnostic procedure that I can send you from the '04 manual which probably applies to your '05. I need to know your email address to do that, so send me a follow-up question to tell me that but don't use the @ symbol, but rather use "at". otherwise the address will be erased.
It could be that you really do have low oil pressure (less than 6 psi) so keep that in mind as well. You can remove the oil pressure sender and substitute a calibrated gauge to check that out. It may be less than 6 at idle which you can correct by increasing the 'weigth' of oil that you are using.
PS Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the "pool" to which it had been referred by Kevin. If you would be so kind as to 'rate' my answer I would be appreciative.

QUESTION: Thanks for answer. Yea it is 2500 Ram. I was thinking maybe it was a gauge going bad, I think I am using the recommended oil weight.

It there a way I can replace the gauge sensor just to make sure that is not the problem.

You asked for an email so you could send the cluster self-diagnostic procedure - my electronic mail is spadesplayer123 at  yahoo dotcom , thanks for help.

Hi Rick,
The oil sensor is I believe at the lower left side of the engine, probably near the oil filter. I would consider the engine weight increase if this is mainly showing up at idle rpm.
I sent the pages about the cluster self-test.
PS Thanks for the rating and nomination.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).