Dodge Repair/2.7L stalls due to low idling

Question
I have a 2001 dodge intrepid with the 2.7l engine with approximately 120,000 miles on it.  
Recently, I'm noticing the following behavior:

1. Car starts fine when warm, or cold engine
2. Car idles fine when cold (parked)
3. Car idles a little slower when warm (parked)
4. When driving with warm engine, I can feel occasional instances when the engine loses power, but not enough to affect my driving
5. When the car slows down (engine warm), such as going to an intersection, the car will stall (RPMs drop too low)

The check engine light came on and I'm seeing the code P1684 and P0404. I've disregarded the P1684 and suspect an issue with the EGR components (P0404).

I have heard of people cleaning certain components such as the EGR and IAC valve. I have an idea where the EGR valve is located but wondered what are the steps to perform the cleaning process?

Answer
Hi Jamie,
The egr valve is probably the cause of your symptoms. It is not clear in the manual drawings whether the valve stem located between the round top valve stem actuator with the vacuum hose and the body of the valve (attached to the underside of the intake manifold) is or is not visible/accessible, particularly where it enters the valve body. If it is, then the first thing to try is to squirt some WD-40 on the valve stem where it enters the valve body so as to loosen up some gum that is probably making it fail to close tightly via the built-in spring-action which is for that purpose.
Otherwise it will be necessary to remove the valve locate the valve seat and clean around the head of the valve and the valve seat and then similarly lubricate that area to clean out the exhaust gas crud that is probably binding it up.
There is a page in the '98 manual which lists the 25 steps in the total procedure to remove and install the valve. I can photocopy that and postal mail it to you at no cost. Just tell me your postal mailing address.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston