Dodge Repair/2005 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Rough Idle

Question
Hi Roland,

Van idles rough when stopped.  I've had the van for three years and noticed the rough idling more recently, say, the past month.  Rough idling meaning the car feels like its shaking or choking.  No problems during acceleration or when in gear (moving).

Other known problem on my vehicle  is the belt tensioner is making noise and the power steering belt is beginning to squeak.

Thanks for any tips.

Answer
Hi Hank,
Try using the ignition key to get a fault code from the powertrain control module: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading be replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
That is the most efficient way to diagnose such an issue. If that doesn't work then often you can get a free fault code readout using a plug-in code reader at a nationwide auto parts store such as Autozone.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston