Dodge Repair/2005 Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Rough Idle

Hi Roland,

Van idles rough when stopped.  I've had the van for three years and noticed the rough idling more recently, say, the past month.  Rough idling meaning the car feels like its shaking or choking.  No problems during acceleration or when in gear (moving).

Other known problem on my vehicle  is the belt tensioner is making noise and the power steering belt is beginning to squeak.

Thanks for any tips.

Hi Hank,
Try using the ignition key to get a fault code from the powertrain control module: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see the mileage reading be replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
That is the most efficient way to diagnose such an issue. If that doesn't work then often you can get a free fault code readout using a plug-in code reader at a nationwide auto parts store such as Autozone.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).