Dodge Repair/Dodge alternator: sound/rebuild kit

Roland I have a dodge dakota pickup 1996, The alternator is charging fine, but it is starting to make this low winding sound, that I know is going to get worse. I know what bad bearings sound like, this dont sound like that. What do you think? When the bearings are going bad in these dodge alternators do they wind, Or are they more of a grinding sound? Or is this the sign of something else going in the alternator? Because I want to buy a rebuild kit with bearings.

Hi Jerry,
I would guess that it is bearing noise because I don't know any other cause of such noise unless the bearings were rough. The rpm of the alternator is higher than a wheel bearing would be turning so that is why I doubt it would be a grinding sound when it first begins to wear out. Later in the process it might grind.
I haven't tried to re-build an alternator, rather I take them to a alternator/starter motor rebuild shop and have the 'experts' do the rebuild. I hadn't heard one could buy a rebuild kit so don't know how that will work out for you. If it comes with good instructions it should be OK.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).