Dodge Repair/Dodge Intrepid '99 3.5L

Hi, I own a 1999 Dodge Intrepid with a 3.6L engine. For a few months now it has been dying randomly while driving or at idle. When we are finally able to start it again, the cruise control and air conditioner turn on, which I assume are fully computer controlled. We have taken it to a mechanic who says it may be the alternator belt and wants to charge $350 for the initial repair. I can easily drive it short distances without trouble but we are avoiding driving it as much as possible right now. What would be your advice on where I should start? Thank you very much.

Hi Brandon,
I believe that you have either a 3.2 or 3.5L engine.
The best approach is to find out any fault codes that may be stored in the engine controller. It may be possible to use the ignition key to do that: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window in the cluster to see the mileage reading be replaced by any 4-digit numbers preceded by a P. Let me know if that works. Otherwise, a nationwide auto parts store such as Autozone will often do a free code readout using a plug-in code reader, or a shop will do it for $40 or less. Get the code numbers, ask what they mean, and then let me know and we'll figure out what to do next.
Don't pay for any repairs or buy parts till you have the code(s). I suspect it will be something fairly simple but the fault code is needed to know exactly what to replace.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).