Dodge Repair/headlites shuting down

1988Dodge2500series4x4 automatic 5.9 liter
Headlights are shuting off on high and low beams can you give me an idea where i should start and complete diagnoses .your help will b appreciated

Hi Jeffrey,
Unfortunately my collection of manuals for trucks if limited to the years 2004-2007.
Take a look at your high/low beam switch as it may have a loose connection or oxidized contacts inside. You could spray some contact cleaner into the switch through a hole or crack.  Another possibility is a fuse that brings power to that switch is cracked so goes on and off by itself. Finally there is usually a single common ground wire from all the headlamp bulbs (black in color) and that may be loose at its connection to the nearby bodywork. So look for black wire at any of the bulb plugs and trace it to find the ground point.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).