Dodge Repair/'00 Intrepid: keeps shutting off

Question
QUESTION: Hi, i have a friend who has a 2000 dodge intrepid 3.7 and he says that after he lets the car warm up then goes to drive it, it cuts off. It starts right back up but keeps shutting off. I'm thinking its a cam sensor, crank sensor wont let it start back up right? If U can get back to me i would appreciate it. Thanks

ANSWER: Hi Lisa,
If it dies when he steps on the gas pedal it sounds like it might be an issue with the fuel/air mixture rather than an ignition system issue. But have him turn the ignition switch "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer of the cluster to see the mileage reading be replaced by any 4-digit numbers preceded by a P. Let me know and we'll go from there.
Tell me exactly is the engine doing when it is idling warm, and then what is the 'action' he takes that kills the engine.
I assume you meant a 2.7L engine,
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: I apologize for getting back to U later but, No its a dodge intrepid R/T. I haven't been able to drive the car physically, I'm just giving U the details on what he has told me. I've been trying to get ahold of him and drive the car myself to see exactly what's going on. but he said to my friend that when he comes to a light it dies. I'm not sure if its shaking or shuddering but it cuts off but starts right up after it dies. I went to school for auto mechanic and have a certificate so i have some experience. but i will keep in touch with U and see if we can figure this out.
Thanks,
Lisa

Answer
Hi Lisa,
When you get to the car do check it out for fault code numbers and let me know any that appear. The die when slowing to a stop could also be due to the exhaust gas recirculation valve being stuck slightly ajar which then leans out the mixture too much when slowing to an idle. It should close tightly when slowing to a stop. So if there are no codes the next thing to check would be the egr valve. That requires a little bit of dismantling to get it off and clean out the interior where the valve/valve seat are located but it can definitely get gummed up there so cleaning it out is a useful thing to try. Again, tell me which L size engine is in the car and I can tell you the details about the egr.
Thanks for a rating and nomination.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston