Dodge Repair/'03 Stratus: no control of heater air output mode

HVAC stuck on wind shield and vent. wont blow on floor. Also intermittently sticks on heat or AC when turning it from hot to cold and suddenly it will change to the desired temperature. this is for a 2003 dodge stratus

Hi Justin,
There is a door inside the HVAC unit that directs the air to the various outlets. That door is moved by an electrical actuator that is located on the underside of the unit and has an electrical plug and is held in place by screws. There are two such actuators on the bottom and this distribution mode door is the one at the left end of the underside. Remove the under dash silencer panel and  possibly another side panel by the HVAC to get access to the left hand (driver end) of the HVAC underside. Remove the screws and drop down the actuator noting how it mates to the fitting on the door proper. Move the door by hand to be sure it is not bound up. You could then turn on the HVAC and select the various air output choices to see if the actuator moves or not in response. Then you can decide if the actuator needs to be replaced or the door loosened up. I can tell you how the wires are connected to the control panel so you can verify that those are patent.
There is a similar actuator for the temp that controls where the air is sent (over the heater or the AC coils). That blend door actuator is the other one on the bottom of the unit, in the center. You can similarly test it out. Remove the passenger side hush panel under the dash to gain access to that actuator. Check whether the door is binding up.
Thanks for the rating and nomination. I hope this will resolve the problem for you.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).