Dodge Repair/95 dodge ram 5.2l auto trans problem....

QUESTION: 95 dodge ram 5.2l when u go to take off u have to get the rpms pretty high to go. once u get moving it runs fine. takes off fine in 4wd also. suspecting torque converter or transmission control solenoid?? any suggestions? also how would I find out for sure what tranny I have and how do I check the codes? by the way this tranny was supposedly rebuilt right before I bought the truck. ran fine for about 6 months now this. any help would b greatly appreciated!

ANSWER: Hi Chris,
I don't have manuals so far back for the '95 truck line. I would believe that there is a diagnostic data link connector at the left end of the dash underneath which is blue in color and has a rectangular array of 6 pins/sockets (2X3). You would want to get a code readout using an OBD I reader of the transmission control module. The numbers would be 2-digit. If you can get such a readout let me know what that code number(s) are and we'll go from there. Do you know where the trans was rebuilt, and did you get any receipt for the job? It could be under a warranty.
But the code readout is the best place to start. An independent shop with a snap-on code reader from that vintage should do the job for under $40. But they need an OBD=I reader. That system was replaced in '96 by the OBD-II system.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

QUESTION: the tranny was done by a shadetree mechanic unknown to me. therefor no warranty. ive seen vehicles where u could use a jumperwire or manipulate the key switch and count the blinking idiot lights to read the codes.... is that possible on this truck? how can I find out for sure what tranny I have?

Hi Chris,
The trans fault codes are not read out via the check engine light/ignition key on-off trick. The trans controller is read out only by the data link connecter which I described using a OBD-I plug in reader. At least that is how it is on the '95 automobiles. The fault code numbers for the engine and for the transmission are both two digit, and they overlap so it would be impossible to know which device a number applied to unless they had a separate means to read them out. That changed in '96/'97 model years.
Because I don't have the manual I can't be sure how to tell the trans type. I believe it would be shown on the multi-line code plate in the engine compartment but again without the manual I can't direct you to the line/code numbers. It sounds like you have the electronic type of transmission so there probably was only one type for that year so maybe a parts store would have a catalog for say the internal filters that were available for the transmissions of that year. Its number probably starts with the number 41.
Please rate my answer and consider a nomination.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).