Dodge Repair/'01 Ram 5.9L: no start/code 1494

Question
*2001 Dodge Ram 2500- 5.9 Gas*
As I was driving last night, I heard a popping sound and my truck stalled. I pulled over to first check if I had started leaking any fluids, and there were none. Lifted the hood, to see if there was anything visible but still found nothing. This took about5 min. Jumped back in the truck and it started right up. Drove aout a 1/4 mile, it had a small backfire pop thru the exhaust and stalled again. Jumped out again, checked the exhaust.. (I plow with this truck, thought maybe i backed into a pile of snow and plugged the exhaust)checked under the hood again, still found nothing. Another 5 min and I tried starting, started up.. this time only drove about 20 yards, sputtered and stalled. Would not start again, even after about 2 hrs. Thought maybe my gas gauge wasn't reading right (read 1/4 tank) so I added 5 gal of gas.. still nothing. Towed truck home, pulled codes and it displayed a p1494 code. Please help!!!

Answer
Hi David,
The 1494 code says the part of the emission control system called the leak detection pump's  pressure switch is in the wrong position. It might cause the addition of gas vapors to the engine when it is not called for and thus the backfire. I have referred to the '04 manual which is the closest year I have to your '01.
I can copy about 6 pages that describes the leak detection pump and shows how it works and how to check out the reason for the fault code. It may prove helpful to you. Also, keep checking for fault codes after each time you try to start it.
To send the pages I need to know your email address. So tell me that but don't use the @ symbol but instead use 'at', otherwise the address will be erased from your follow-up question.
Thanss for the rating and nomination.
Roland  

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston