Dodge Repair/06 Charger Transmission

Hi Roland,

I have had major problem with my 2006 Charger R/T (85K miles). Around Christmas my car stalled setting in the driveway. I took it to the dealer (that the car has always been to for everything), and they said my computer needed 6-8 upgrades & a Hemi Tune-up ($640). I got the car back, and the transmission had a vibration/gear lag to it. (1 week later) I was told that water had gotten into the torque converter and it need replacing ($1,800). After that was replaced the vibration was less, but still there, along with the gear lag. 2 weeks later. (After the trans went out on me and coded the computer) The dealer told me that the water had gotten into the transmission and needed replacing ($3,300). Afterwards, less vibration(still noticeable)now but still gear lag. By gear lag I mean, that when in automatic over 40 mph it feels like it the trans is in between the 4th & 5th gear, but when I shift to manual everything is great. The RPMs change from by 200 -400 RPM. Chrysler has agreed to refund me some of the cost of repairs so far, but wants me to take it back to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix the problem. Which they haven't yet. I have also been told that there is a bad coil somewhere as well.
Here is my questions: (1) Could the software update have affected the computer causing problems in the Automatic trans mode, causing the lag. Can the software be removed and the original software re-installed?
(2)Have you ever heard of water getting into the transmission system? (3)Could the engine not be going into the 4 cylinder mode after 45 mph causing the lag/vibration? (4)Could a coil be causing the problem? I appreciate any of your knowledge at this point.

Hi Scott,
I would assume that the upgrades would not cause problems so unless Chrysler rep suggests that it might explain the onset of the problem I would set that aside. I suppose the earlier software is available but I would try to understand how the upgrade changed things and what issue might arrise if you went back.
The only way I can imagine that water got into the transmission is because of a cross-leak of coolant with trans fluid occuring in the dual purpose radiator which has the two fluids in close proximity but ideally should not 'communicate'. On the change to 4 cyl mode, I would believe there would be a fault code stored in the pcm were that the case. So see if you can get a free code readout from the dealer.
There are several coils but the one that comes to mind is the spark coil, or actually I would believe that there are 8 coils, one at each of the spark plugs. But again, a code readout would divulge that problem via a specific code saying which cylinger was missing.
I do hope that you can get some satisfaction out of this situation. I encourage you to keep up the pressure for repair and for recompense for unnecessary/ineffective repairs you have paid for.
Please 'rate' my answer (see PS below).

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).