Dodge Repair/2.7L V-6: High oil pressure at idle

I have a dodge charger 2.7 Liter engine. Sludge problem. Got a new crank kit and new oil pump. When idling, car begins at 80 PSI and runs until coolant fan cycles twice then drops to 20 PSI. What is happening?

Hi Tracee,
That is interesting because you wouldn't expect that to be the case at idle. I wonder whether the oil pressure relief valve is installed out of order or perhaps a passageway is blocked by the sludge history. It appears to be temperature dependent, as it drops when the engine warms up, but 80 seems strange at idle???
I can copy about 6 pages from the '04 manual that describes the entire lubrication system of the engine.  I have them on CD and will attach those to an email I'll send to you directly. I need to know your email address, but when you tell me it in a follow-up question don't use the @ symbol instead us 'at' otherwise the address will be automatically erased.
Please ;rate' my answer (see below).

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).