Dodge Repair/backfiring thru the intake

Question
2000 dodge ram pickup. 5,9 multiport fuel injection. replaced plugs wires, coil. there are no codes on the dash. which is odd. my truck backfires through the intake and hesitates on acceleration . i have watched the tach not stay idle when running down the road . when i run about 50 or any speed . the motor backfires and even seems to shut down at times. hope to hear from you soon thanks you

Answer
Hi Charles,
It may be that there is no self-diagnostic capability in that vehicle (were you trying the ignition key approach and has it ever shown codes that way?). In any case, you could try for a free code readout at a nationwide autoparts store such as Autozone.
If no codes come out that way, then I would look at the exhaust gas recirculation valve to see whether the valve stem might be gummed up which is preventing it from closing when you coast down to a stop or accelerate, which is when it has to close to get the correct mixture.
You would need to find the valve in the small exhaust pipe that branches off one of the exhaust manifolds, then find the stem of the valve located in the flange area between the round top of the valve and valve body, then find the stem hidden behind the flange, notice it has a circumferential slot into which you can insert the tip of a screwdriver, then move the stem that way back and forth to observe whether the internal spring-action closes the valve to a dead stop, and in any case spray some WD-40 on the stem where it enters the valve body and work the stem back and forth some more. That is often a flaw which the code readers system won't detect.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below) and consider also a 'nomination' of me.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston