Dodge Repair/Overheating: '00 5.4L Durango

Question
I have a 2000 Durango 5.4 2wd. The water pump was making a squeaking sound so I replaced it with a new one and also changed the thermostat. When i was driving it to make sure everything was working it started to overheat, I can't figure out for the life of me what it could be??

Answer
Hi Vance,
I would wonder whether the thermostat is opening at the stated temperature of its 'setting'. You could remove it and place it into a pan of water and watch for the movement of the plate that opens and closes according to the temperature of the thermostatic spring. And I assume that you didn't by chance put it in backward.
The other possibility is that air may be trapped in the system although nothing is mentioned about that concern in my '04 manual.
I assume this is a belt drive external water pump and the belt is at the proper tension. There is the possibility that the water impeller is not firmly attached to the shaft of the new pump.
The upper radiator hose should be hot as an indication that the thermostat is indeed open.
There are of course many other reasons for overheating, but only those related to what you have changed in the cooling system would seem to be relevant.
Please 'rate' my answer (see PS below).
Thanks,
Roland  

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston