Dodge Repair/replaced ecm but check engine light is still on.

QUESTION: I have a 2001 seabring 2.7 . We have to do emission tests, however they will not even test it if any lights are on. It doesnt matter why the lights are on, they wont even check it. We took it to the dealer they checked the code it was P0601. They want close to a thousand dollars to replace it. We went online to buy a rebuilt unit. They flashed it with the vin number, and mileage. We replaced it but the check engine light is still on. Any ideas as to what else we could do ?

ANSWER: Hi Hank,
The light may still be on because there is a separate fault code from the earlier 0601. You were correct in replacing the pcm. I would get a 'fresh' fault code readout. You can often get it for free at a nationwide autoparts store such as Autozone or an independent shop will usually do it for around $40. Let me know what code number comes out and we'll go from there.
Please 'rate' my answer (see PS below).

QUESTION: Hi Roland,he code
Just checked the code with the "key dance" wish I would of known that trick before paying $95 to the dealer. But anyway the codes that came up were the P0601 and the P1864. We did disconnect the battery to try and clear the code, but it hasnt worked. Is it possible that it will knock off on its own after driving it for a few miles ? Or is likely that if we knock the code off it would stay off ?  Thanks for any info, we really need to get the car through the emissions test.  Hank

Hi Hank,
Disconnecting the battery (which causes another 1684 nonetheless) should erase the 0601 so it suggests it is still valid. The fact that it didn't (and you could try it again) would cause me to believe that the used pcm is defective. I would question the vender for a replacement given that the 0601 can only be 'cured' by replacing the pcm. I wish there was hope for a spontaneous clearing of that code but I would not hold out much hope for that.
Please let me know how this is resolved.
If you would be so kind as the rate my answer and consider saying 'yes' to a nomination of me it would be most appreciated.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).