Dodge Repair/My 2002 Dodge intrepid is flooding fuel

QUESTION: What should I check if my 2002 dodge intrepid 2.7 liter engine want start. I have spark. Fuel pump comes on. But want turn over if fuel pump is plugged. I unplug the fuel pump and the car starts with gas left in the intake then runs out of gas and kills. Crank sensor/cam sensor, fuel pump has been changed, but still no start if fuel pump is plugged. Please help!

ANSWER: I just answered this question, so look for that in your in box.

QUESTION: My 2002 2.7 engine is flooding. my spark plugs are fouled with gas. I have checked the spark plug connectors with a noid light and they flash normally. I checked all the injector connectors and they flash normally. I changed the fuel pump and still same result. But if I take out the fuel pump relay. The car will run with the little fuel left in the fuel line normally without a misfire. But when I plug back in the fuel pump relay. It misfires and black smoke out the tail pipe. Plus it will run very rough. No real codes it just said code p0161 for the 02 sensor. I changed all of them and still the same. and the reader says Misfire. Could this be a valve issue.

Hi Daniel,
I would check out the fuel pressure in the fuel rail. The pressure regulator may be malfunctioning allowing too high a pressure in the system. There is likely a port on the rail where you can insert a pressure gauge, if not measure it at the fuel outlet at the tank. Before opening the fuel line, release the pressure per the manual.  It should read around 49 psi. The regulator is part of the fuel pump but you may not have changed out that part?
Please 'rate/nominate' this answer/me (see the PS below).

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).