Dodge Repair/'99 Intrepid 3.2L: no start

So I just changed my fuel pump in my 1999 dodge intrepid es 3.2 cuz the mechanic said it was bad. After doing so the car started right up with barely any hesitation. The next day I went to start it and it would crank good but didnt start. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the throttle body and it started up and ran for a couple secs. So I tried checking fuel pressure but I cant get a pressure gague on the little nozzle because the fuel rail is crammed in there. It does squirt fuel out but I dont know exact pressure. So it seems to be gettin fuel and spark but only starts with starting fluid. What should I check?

Hi Tim,
This may have nothing to do with the fuel pump. Do you hear it run for about a second when you turn the key to the 'run' position? If so, then it is working.
Try the ignition key to get the fault code that may be stored in the engine control module: turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage reading is replaced by any 4-digit numbers preceded by a P. Let me know and we'll go from there.
Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the "pool" to which it had been sent by Kevin.
Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me (see the PS below).

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).