Dodge Repair/flashing rear defog lamp: '01 Durango

Question
I put a heater core and evaporator core in a 2001 dodge durango, the a/c works the heat works but the rear defogger lamp blinks. The relay works, the rear defog switch works to control relay. Ive looked for piched wires or forgotten grounds, also the ac lamp doesnt come on when commanded but comp. engages ac is cold. I red where you said available current is at the output of the rear window defogger and timer logic is why its blinking. Where is the available current from? The havac controller maybe? John

Answer
Hi John,
I only have the '04 Durango manual which I am not sure is totally applicable to your '01 model.
I looked for the defogger switch/lamp information and could find nothing specific to the light flashing. It only spoke of the light coming 'on' when the ebl circuit was activated. Are you sure that the ebl grid doesn't put out heat? If it does you would notice that the glass at the grid lines is warmer than the glass between the grid lines after the defogger has been activated for 5 minutes or so.
In some of the other Chrysler vehicles, the flashing ebl light was indicative of some sort of a problem related to the heater circuit for cabin heating. Is it perhaps indicating a problem of that type; have you noticed anything not to be working in the heater/ac system?
In the '04 the heater/ac system can be analyzed via a fault code reader. So perhaps the best approach would be to get a fault code readout of the body computer to see if here are any fault codes stored therein. Those would be 4-digit number preceded by a B. Let me know if you get any such numbers and I can look up what that fault code is about.
The power for the ebl grid comes from fuse 12 in the power distribution box while the power to activate the relay comes from fuse 24 in the cabin fuse box.
Sorry to not have an '01 manual but it very well could be that the '04 applies to your '01.
Sorry for the delay in responding but I just found your question in the 'pool' to which Kevin had referred it.

Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me (see the PS below).
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston