Dodge Repair/'04 dodge 1500 4x4: code 0841/0876

my truck all of a sudden while driving shifted out of gear, so i stoped and turned off vehicle then started it and put it in gear and it went into gear and got me home. after checking fluid and stuff like that i started the truck and it went into gear but after a few seconds it went out of gear.  turned off truck restarted it after 15 seconds and it keeps doing the same thing in any gear. it threw codes po876,po731,po841, and po700. can u please help me, thanks.   it just goes out of gear after a few sec. i can feel it go into gear even drive in R or D then it just goes out like its in N, but somtimes u can feel it try to go back into gear after it went out of gear. but normally i have to shut off the truck, then start process all over again and again and again.

Hi Jeff,
I just found your question in the 'pool'...sorry for the delay.
The 0841 and 0876 point toward a problem in the solenoid pack/pressure switch assembly (specifically the LR and UD pressure switches) inside the transmission which can be accessed by dropping the oil pan and replacing that assembly. There are also possible causes related to damage to the wiring harness of the transmission which you could check out visually. There are about 6 pages of diagnostics for each of those codes as well.
The 0731 points to the failure to go forward when put it in gear in that the output speed sensor is expecting to see rotation but it is not and so says their is a 'gear ratio error' which by itself has so many possible causes (including the solenoid/pressure switch assembly but also all kinds of internal possibilities requiring R and R of the transmission). The 0700 merely alerts you to the presence of the other codes in the memory.
It would probably be worth your while to change out the solenoid/pressure switch assembly if you can do this yourself to see if that solves the problem. Otherwise an independent transmission shop would be worth speaking to for their 'take' on those 3 codes and what the possible approaches would be.
I can send you the information on how to remove the assembly (and also the diagnostic pages) as attachments to an email I would send to you directly. I need to know your email address but when you tell me that in a follow-up question don't use the @ symbol, instead us 'at'. Otherwise the address will be automatically erased.
I also need to know which automatic transmission you have. The number code for the transmission type is on the body code plate located on the right side hydroform fender rail just behind the right headlamp. It is on the top line in positions 13,14,15 and would be either DG4,DG8, or DGQ. To send the correct pages I need the code.
Please 'rate/nominate' my answer/me *see the PS below).

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).