Dodge Repair/4x4 won't shift into forward 4 wheel drive

Question
QUESTION: I have a 1997 Dodge 2500 4x4 8l V10 and when i put it in 4 wheel drive it grinds and wont engage when going forward but it will lock in in reverse but as soon as i put it back in drive it disengages again. Thank you for your help

ANSWER: Hi Tom,
I just found your question in the 'pool' where it had been referred by Kevin.
While I don't have a manual as old as for a '97, I do have the '04 Ram truck manual and in the transmission section there are a couple of pages that show how to adjust the secondary shift lever that connects the floor shifter to the 4x4 transfer case. That adjustment would be the first thing to try as it may not be fully engaging the gears.
I can send you those pages attached to an email I would send to you directly. Tell me your email address, but don't use the @ symbol, rather use 'at', otherwise it will be erased automatically and I won't see it. Look at the pages and see if yours looks to be the same set- up.
Other than that I suspect the problem could be low fluid or internal damage to the 4x4 unit.
Please 'rate/nominate' this answer/me (see the PS below).
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: thomas.a.olney.mil at mail.mil

Answer
Hi Tom,
I got the email address. Tomorrow morning first thing I'll copy and send you the pages.
If you would be so kind as to click on the 'Thank/Rate' button, and then give a 'yes' answer to the question about a 'nomination' of me I would very much appreciate that.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston