Dodge Repair/98 Dodge Neon

Question
My 15 year old son just bought his first car this past weekend. the owner said the neutral safety switch is out. The car dash lights up but won't start.  How hard is it to change one of these and where is it located, on the transmission? He only paid 350.00 for this car and I am hoping it will be his summer project to learn some responsibility! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ohio Mom

Answer
PARK/NEUTRAL STARTING AND BACK-UP LAMP SWITCH
TEST
The park/neutral starting switch is the center terminal of the three terminal switch. It provides ground for the starter solenoid circuit through the selector lever in PARK and NEUTRAL positions only.

To test switch, remove wiring connector from switch and test for continuity between center pin of switch and transaxle case. Continuity should exist only when transaxle is in PARK or NEUTRAL.
Check gearshift cable adjustment before replacing a switch that tests bad.
REMOVAL
Unscrew switch from transaxle case allowing fluid to drain into a container. Move selector lever to PARK, then to NEUTRAL position, and inspect to see the switch operating lever fingers are centered in switch opening.
INSTALLATION
Screw the switch with a new seal into transaxle case and tighten to 33 Nm (24 ft. lbs.) Retest switch with the test lamp.
Add fluid to transaxle to bring up to proper level.
The back-up lamp switch circuit is through the two outside terminals of the three terminal switch.
To test switch, remove wiring connector from switch and test for continuity between the two outside pins.
Continuity should exist only with transaxle in REVERSE position.
No continuity should exist from either pin to the case

Dodge Repair

Kevin