Dodge Repair/1996 dodge dakota crankshaft sensor

Question
QUESTION: i just bought a 1996 dodge dakota 3.9 2 wd automatic. we are converting it to a standard, i bought a crankshaft sensor for the exact make and model and it wont fit. i dont know what to do. is it possible to re-wire the sensor? i havent got much money and i have a lot invested in this truck. the automatic tranny is crap, is why i have to convert it. please respond asap, im  on a time limit, i am hurting for time

ANSWER: Hi Josh,
I am surprised that the supposed part for the exact make/model won't fit. Did you get it from a dealer? What did the parts store say when you brought it back? What is the reason it won't fit? Is it mechanical or an electrical plug mismatch? Was the sensor that came with the vehicle defective? I don't see a relationship between the sensor and which transmission you are attaching to the engine.
Please give me some more details. However, I don't have a service manual for a '90's 3.9L engine but I will do my best to understand and help.
Please 'rate/nominate' this answer/me (see the PS below),
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: the one that came with the truck was for an automatic, as i understand i had to buy one for a standard because i am converting it from an automatic to a standard. the plug wont go in, the prongs are shaped differently than what you plug it into. i bought it from autozone, they swear it is for a 96 dodge 3.9 2 wd standard tranny.

Answer
Hi Josh,
I am surprised about that difference. I don't understand why the plugs would be different on the harness that comes to the sensor for a standard as compared to an automatic transmission. I would believe that the two types of sensors have identical wire colors in any case so it would seem to me irrelevant if you continued to use a sensor-type for the engine when you had an automatic transmission. This issue doesn't seem relevant so why not just get the same sensor as was on the truck when you bought it? If you don't have to change out the wiring harness to convert to a manual transmission then I see no reason for not continuing to use the same type of original sensor that was on the engine when you bought the vehicle. Who told you to change the crank sensor type in this conversion process?
Roland
PS Thanks for the rating and nomination, which you can do again if you would care to.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston