Dodge Repair/cylinder 8 misfire

hi I have a 2003 dodge Durango 4.7 brought it to a mechanic he said I have to buy a new engine because the cylinder is misfiring and is no good I was wondering if he's right or is there other things I can do to fix this problem he swapped the coils and the misfire stayed at eight don't know what to do thanks tim

Hi Timothy,
Did he measure the compression of that cylinder and compare that measurement to any other of the cylinders' compression reading? If it is 25% less or worse than the 'average' of the other cylinders' compressions then I would suspect the issue is mechanical and thus he would be correct unless you can 'live' with the misfire.
So that would be an easy type of thing to measure by means of a compression gauge that you screw into each spark plug hole and then crank the engine over (remove all the spark plugs, and also remove the ASD relay from the power box in the engine compartment, which is in the front row of the box next to the left front fender), and then put the gauge in each spark plug hole and see what the readings are when you turn the engine over via the starter motor. Record the reading of each cylinder after the third rotation of the crankshaft.  That way you would have an idea of the overall condition of the engine. If the compression is not that different on #8 then I would check out the fuel injector circuit/fuel injector/spark plug wire to the cylinder as the possible cause.
Please 'rate/nominate' this answer/me (see the PS below)

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).