Dodge Repair/2006 dodge ram 1500 won't start

When I turn the key I get a clicking noise but no start almost like the solenoid has gone out. any ideas how to get started with out having to replace starter solenoid since I have it parked on a hill and its an automatic so I can't get it onto flat ground to crawl under it.
When I parked there last night I put e-brake on put truck in neutral, released foot off brake and let vehicle settle. then put in park.

Hi Donna,
That loud click means that the solenoid switch is being activated by the starter motor relay but that the starter itself is not responding. Usually it means that the battery has been discharged too far to provide enough current to turn the starter motor itself. I would check that the battery cables are tightly connected to the battery posts (be careful not to short the + post clamp to any piece of nearby metal). Then if you can get a 'jump' to your battery from another vehicle's battery that should give you enough current to activate the starter motor. If not, then use a hammer to tap on the side of the starter motor while a helper tries the key which may cause a poor connection inside the starter motor commutator/brush interface and thus conduct current better. If you have a good battery connection, the loud click, and it still won't activate the starter motor then you probably do a have an internal problem that requires rebuild of the starter motor. But check the fat red wire from the battery to the starter motor (but disconnect the - post of the battery first for safety).
Please read the PS below.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).