Dodge Repair/AC not cooling at low rpm

I have a 2005 Dodge 1500, 4x4, 4.7 V8. went on vacation and on the way back the ac stopped cooling and was sending hot air into the cab. If I was driving at least 30mph it seemed to work fine. Every time I had to stop it started with the hot air. Any idea's?

Thank you,

Hi Willie,
Two possibilities: possibly the drive belt is slipping because it is too loose when you are at low rpm. So open the hood and press on the belt midway between two pulley to observe if you can depress it more that 1/2". If the belt seems tight enough then start the engine and have a helper rev the engine while you look to see if there is a good rotational speed relationship between the pulley on the compressor and the engine rpm (e.g. no apparent slipping). If that seems to be alright, then I suspect that you are at the lower limit on acceptable refrigerant pressure/content in the system so you would need to add some to the system. The clutch will only connect the compressor when the pressure in the system is sufficient.
Please see the PS below.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).