Dodge Repair/repair motor

Question
QUESTION: ive had this car in a shop to fix timeing belt but he said he fix it and he said he needing to fix piston too cause he said it did something when it broke 800 hundread dollors later I had to toll it home piston is hydro ajust it self but it didn't it will run but it will make noise an not stay running   thanks phillip

ANSWER: Hi Phillip,
What is the year/make/model/engine size (L)?  
What do you mean by "piston is hydro ajust it self but didn't"?
What did the shop say was the situation with the engine, and why did they spend so much time on it when it sounds like it should have been obvious that there was piston damage and thus was going to be a major repair job? Did they call you about what they were finding while they had it in the shop, or just tell you it was $800 and come and get it?
Let me know the answers to these questions.
Roland

QUESTION: DODGE NEON 2002 SXT MOTOR IS 2.0L 4 CYL.
TIMING BELT BROKE. HE SAID  THE ONE CYL WASN'T WORKING. SO HE SAID HE FIX IT. AND SAID IT WOULD SET IT SELF BUT NEVER DID. NOW IT WON'T STAY RUNNING.AND MAKES A LOUD NOISE THANKS PHILLIP

Answer
Hi Phillip,
That 2.0L engine has a problem if the timing belt breaks while it is running because one of the pistons will strike one of its 4 valves that stop moving when the belt breaks.  This design is called 'interference' and for that reason you want to avoid allowing the belt to run so long that it breaks. It should be replaced after about 100,000 miles so that it won't break.
It appears that is what happened to your engine and that is what you are hearing now, some sort of damage to either the piston or a valve in that cylinder that is not working now.
The mechanic should have investigated this possibility before simply replacing the timing belt, if that is all he did, because the internal problem in the cylinder was not repaired.
It was a wasted effort to just replace the belt and you should get your money back or tell him to repair the internal damage to the piston/valve at no additional cost to you. If necessary go to small claims court and file a claim against him.
Please read the PS below.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston