Dodge Repair/'01 Durango: rear axle replacement

I have an 01 Dodge Durango and the rear axel busted including the casing. Was wondering how hard it will be to replace the whole rear axel and about how many hours will it take.

Hi Gene,
I don't have the table that shows the time estimate for replacing the axle. The '04 manual that I have shows how to remove and install the axle, and also how to disassemble and repair the differential only. There are two different sets of these instructions depending upon whether it is an 8 1/2 or a 9 1/2  size axle that is installed in the vehicle.
I would be willing to copy the pages for either of the two possible repairs, once you tell me which axle size that you have, and attach those pages to an email I would send to you directly. I would need to know your email address which you can tell me in a follow-up question but when you do that address don't use @ but rather use "at" or the address will be erased from your question to me. It sounds like if the casing is busted you need to replace the entire rear axle (with a used one I presume). So that is probably the instruction that you need if you are going to do it yourself. Tell me which size axle it is that you have.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).