You are here:

Dodge Repair/2000 dodge intrepid es: electircal glitch involving the engine/starter

Advertisement


Question
As I sat in  the car while running I needed to reposition the phone charger in the cigarette lighter so the cord wouldn't lean up against the gear shift when it's in park. In order to do so I took it out and put it back in.  When I did the indicator light didn't come on, so I turned it ( charger) to see if it would work then. The indicator light blinked and at that time the car shut off. A couple seconds later I smelled smoke coming from that area of the cig lighter/phone charger. It seems everything works battery wise but when I turn the key in the iignition its just dead. I did check the 15 amp fuse (which reads cig lighter/ignition/battery on the panel) and it wasn't blown. What could the problem? I have problem after problem with this car. Is this an expensive job to fix. I think I'm about done with it. Thank you for your help!

Answer
Hi Octavia,
The fuse for the lighter socket is #6 in the dash fuse box (15 amp).
I can't predict where the burning smell came from as I would have thought fuse 6 would have blown.
The power to fuse 6 does come from a fuse in the power box in the engine compartment (fuse G. 40 Amp) which also powers the ignition switch and that switch circuit also powers the starter motor and fuel pump. So I would go to the main power box and check fuse G (the outboard-most in the rear row of large fuses) to see if that one may have blown. If not, then you will need to have a voltmeter or a 12-volt neon glow light to check the circuits in search of a burned out wire. But start with fuse G, and you might just as well look at all the fuses in that main box while you are at it.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Roland Finston

Expertise

Get a Free Fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2012 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Experience

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Organizations
Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Education/Credentials
Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

Awards and Honors
"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.