Dodge Repair/'96 dodge ram van: stalling

Question
QUESTION: I have a 1996 dodge ram van 2500 5.2 liter ,what it does for the last couple days is it will start to raise the idle and stall and it also stalls out of the blue while driving , could it be the IAC sensor /module

ANSWER: Hi Brad,
Two things:
Stalling while running, absent any fault codes, and particularly if when accelerating or slowing down, can be due to the exhaust gas recirculation valve being gummed up. So find that near the throttle body and connected to a small diameter exhaust pipe, and then check the action of the valve stem that is located in the flange area between the round vacuum-operated top and the body of the valve proper. The stem has a slot into which you can insert the tip of a screwdriver to move the stem back and forth. Make sure it closes to a complete stop via the internal spring-action. If it is sticking then spray some WD-40 on the stem where it enters the valve body and move the stem some more to loosen it up.
Also check for fault codes using the ignition key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light which remains "on" to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Thane repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Let me know the counts in order of appearance. We'll go from there.
I doubt it is the IAC but a code for that would show up in any case. Lets get the codes before throwing parts at the problem.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: Also ,my check engine light comes on and the indicator code reveals coolant temp sensor obd2 code 0118 , but that has been like that for the last 2 months ,I do plan on changing that ,but I can't see that causing the stalling for the simple fact the stalling just started 2 days ago ,is it possible??
I will try your advice and let you know if it works,may take a couple days.
Thankyou

ANSWER: Hi Brad,
I would check out the sensor wire, and if that is OK then change the sensor. The egr is then the next thing to check out and lubricate after the sensor code is resolved.
I would a appreciate a rating and nomination if this is helpful.
Thanks,
Roland

QUESTION: Hi Roland

Did the check engine light as you spoke of 3 times
Here's what I got:
3 flashes pause
4 flashes pause
5 flashes pause
6 flashes and stayed on 6 th
Haven't had a chance to try the other things as of yet
Ratings to follow
Thanks
Brad

Answer
Hi Brad,
The first code is 34 and says there is an open or short circuit in the cruise control circuit, either the vacuum sontrol or the vent solenoid. It would not likely cause the problem you have. The second code is a 55 which means "end of readout". So see if the other things are helpful in the problem you are having.
Thanks for the rating and nomination.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston