Dodge Repair/98 dodge Durango anti theft alarm

Question
I locked my keys in my Durango had to use a shim to press the unlock button. Once I opened the door the alarm went off. My lock cylinder is messed up on the driver side so I couldn't use the key to manually Unlock it. And I do not have a key fob for it, never have. Now it will only turn over but will not start. What can I do to disengage the alarm system??

Answer
Hi Kena,
Is the alarm system LED warning light still illuminated that shows it is 'armed'?
I don't have the truck manual for '98 but usually if it hasn't been disarmed the engine will start but then die after a couple of seconds, rather than not starting at all.
Did you try to lock/un-lock the passenger door using the key which also should disarm the security system.
You can also try the ignition key for a fault code that would explain another reason for no start. Turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch to odometer window to see if the mileage reading is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston