Dodge Repair/98 dodge Durango anti theft alarm

I locked my keys in my Durango had to use a shim to press the unlock button. Once I opened the door the alarm went off. My lock cylinder is messed up on the driver side so I couldn't use the key to manually Unlock it. And I do not have a key fob for it, never have. Now it will only turn over but will not start. What can I do to disengage the alarm system??

Hi Kena,
Is the alarm system LED warning light still illuminated that shows it is 'armed'?
I don't have the truck manual for '98 but usually if it hasn't been disarmed the engine will start but then die after a couple of seconds, rather than not starting at all.
Did you try to lock/un-lock the passenger door using the key which also should disarm the security system.
You can also try the ignition key for a fault code that would explain another reason for no start. Turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch to odometer window to see if the mileage reading is replaced by a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).