Dodge Repair/atf+4 transmission fluid aftermarket brands

Hi Roland, I am going to change the transmission filter and fluid and replace the transmission pan being it's rusting. I ordered the parts but thought I would get the transmission fluid ATF+4 9602 from the Dodge dealer but they want $10 a Quart. If I need 4 quarts it will be over $40. I was wondering if I bought a aftermarket brand that said ATF+4 would it be alright. I just don't want to ruin the trans. It's a 2001 Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2ltr 4 speed trans. Thanks

HI Glenn,
I would believe that an aftermarket ATF+4 would be fine so long as it has been approved by the American Petroleum Institute or similar oil standard setting organization. So check out the details on the label.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).