Dodge Repair/code p1768: '96 minivan T & C

Question
I read your previous answer for code p1768.my question is my 96 town and country(3.8v6), only went into limp mode when I would turned the wipers on, and the only way I could get them to turn off was by pulling the fuse . once I did that transmission would shift fine, then 1 day I noticed it down shifted early when I coming to a stop downhill.i drove for a couple of blocks stop at light,and it wouldn't move until I cut the van off for a few minutes,and start it back up.on the way home it did the same thing except that this time it wouldn't move anymore. I could hear it going into reverse and the other gears.could my problem be the same answer you gave before or could I have a bad solenoid pack or another problem.just hoping I want need another transmission. Thanks.

Answer
Hi Cornelius,
I am not certain which of my earlier answers about the 1768 code you referenced. But that code is about the transmission control relay being at fault or if not that then the wiring of the relay in the transmission control circuit. In the '96 the trans control relay is the 3rd from the rear of the box under the hood so the first thing to do is try to substitute a relay with the same part number for that specific relay. However the rearmost relay and the second relay are critical relays so don't 'borrow' either one of those. Rather, look under the dash at the fuse/relay box there where you could borrow anyone of those of the same part number without affecting the powertrain of the vehicle. See whether such a 'borrowed' relay will impact your problem or not. If not then some further checking of the wiring will be required.
In any case, the 1768 code by itself does not appear to be a cause of major transmission repair being required. So that is good news.
Let me know what you learn.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks for doing that.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston