Dodge Repair/After market gauges on 01 360 dodge ram engine with computer controls intact.

I am trying to install after market auto meter gauges on a 01 360 Dodge Ram truck engine with computer controls still in tack (the engine is now in a Wrangler). This includes coolant temp and oil pressure. The gauges come with new sending units and have a single wire from the unit to the gauge. The old sending units are two wire and run from the sending unit to the "computer" then to the gauges.  I am assuming if I replace the sending units this will affect the way the computer sends fuel and spark. Can I run after market gauges in this set up? Would it be possible to use the stock sending units with the after market gauges?

Hi Dave,
My earliest Ram manual is for '04 and for the Wrangler is '06 (by the way what year is the Wrangler?). But as you note by '01 the engine/transmission sensors sent their signals to the engine or transmission control modules (which use the temp sensor for sure) and there were digitized and sent to instrument cluster on a digital data wire. So the aftermarket set of gauges and sensors (which are designed for vehicles that aren't digitized) is unlikely to be calibrated identically with the stock items so might give false values to the control modules which then would impact how the engine ran. So I would be doubtful you can replace the sensors and successfully run a parallel wire to each of the aftermarket gauges without also possibly changing the voltages that go to the control modules. If the Wrangler cluster is of similar vintage to the '01 360 control modules then it is possible that the Wrangler cluster will still work. Or has that been tried and it doesn't work? Tell me what are all the gauges on the after-market set?
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).