Dodge Repair/1996 dodge van 2500 igniton problem

Question
my 1996 dodge van 2500 has been converted to natural gas in 1999 by chrysler. the problem is that it has no igition fire. if you keep trying to crank it for a while could be 15 could be 1500 times it will eventually start. once started it runs fine if it ever starts. have replaced ignition switch, dist. pickup and crank sensor. was wondering if the neutral safety switch could keep the ignition from firing if it is faulty. you can crank engine in all trans shift positions. this is driving me nuts.

Answer
Hi Brian,
I don't believe the P/N safety switch has any impact on the engine catching, only on the starter motor relay operating. Have you tried a fault code readout using the ignition key?
Turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on", to see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Tell me what they are and we'll go from there.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston