Dodge Repair/engine shut off: '98 Neon

I have a 98 dodge neon sohc its been sitting for months because of an oil leak.. finally got around to changing the camshaft seal..also changed the water pump, and the timing belt.. car started right up....  had the heat on and while switching to the off position it move into air condition and car shut off won't start back...checked fuses they are all good.. any suggestions? thanks in advance..

Hi Walcott,
I would look more carefully at the fuses both in the engine compartment and in the cabin under the dash. One of them may have a subtle crack in its internal wire. Or verify each with an ohmmeter or continuity tester.
The other thing to try is to obtain diagnostic fault code from the engine controller. Use the ignition switch: turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds of less elapsed time. Then watch the check engine light, which remains "on" to perhaps see it begin to flash, pause, flash, etc. Count the number of flashes before each pause. Then repeat the process to be sure of an accurate set of flash counts. Then tell me the counts in the order or appearance. If the check engine light doesn't do the flashing then watch the odometer window of the speedometer to see if a 4-digit number replaces the mileage reading after you do the ignition key switching. It would read "done" if there were no code stored. One way of the other ideally we'll get a clue.
Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the "pool" to which it had been referred by Kevin.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).