Dodge Repair/Hood Release Cable: '00 minivan

2000 Dodge Caravan 4cyl w/air conditioning.  My hood release from inside the car does not release the hood latch, so I cannot get the hood open.  I think that the cable broke.  I tried to remove the hood latch bolts from through the front grille, but the bolts that hold the latch to the frame are inaccessible because the air conditioning condenser is in front of them.  I also tried to access from under the car, but I cannot feel any cable or otherwise see how to manually release the latch.  If I could just get the hood to open once, I'm sure I can take it from there.

Hi Robert,
The latch mechanism can be removed by going through the grille where you will be able to remove 4 bolts that hold it to the panel that goes across the top of the radiator. The other possibility is from underneath if you can see the metal rod that 'strykes' the latch mechanism which is held on by 2 bolts you could release those.
I have about 4 pages from the '04 manual on a CD which I can copy and attach to an email I will send to you directly which also describes how to replace the cable. I need to know your email address so tell me that in a follow-up question, but don't use the @ symbol, instead us 'at' or the address will be erased automatically from the message.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).