Dodge Repair/1993 dodge dakota no start: asd fuse blows

Yes Roland , I'm back with a little more info. I do not have a check engine light, but I don't think it ever came on in the first place. However, now it have discovered that when I try to crank the truck, it is blowing ASD 20 amp fuse. I hope this gives you more information to work with. I really appreciate your input as well as your patience in dealing with an auto amateur such as myself.

Hi Randy,
The circuits that draw on the ASD relay and thus its fuse are usually the fuel injectors (a single wire to the injector harness), the spark coil, the field coil of the alternator, possibly the fuel pump, and the heated oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold (looks like a spark plug, on the right exhaust manifold usually). All those are attached to pin 87 of the ASD relay socket and are supplied from that socket with a dark green/orange wire, typically. So check the labeling at the relay to identify pin 87 and then check to see what the resistance is between that pin and the - post of the battery. If it is very near 0 ohms then that is a short circuit to ground that needs to be repaired. You could try unplugging each of the items I listed above, one at a time, to see which if any is causing a dead short. They may not be shorted if they read few ohms, so look for which one raises the reading from 0 up to a few ohms and that will be the suspect item. There could a short of the dark green/orange wire itself to ground but begin by unplugging each of those items.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).