Dodge Repair/1997 dodge 3500 v10 heater

in cold weather 0 deg. or colder (dec. in minn.) my heater blows medium heat until I slow down or let idle then it turns cold until I get back on the road then goes back to med temp. if outside temp gets 5 or 10 deg. it blows hot air but still turns cold when I stop or let idle. can you help?

Hi Les,
I think the problem may be that there is insufficient flow of hot engine coolant through the heater core in the cabin. That is most noticed when the rpm of the engine is low. This could either be due to the coolant not being full up (is it showing some in the overflow bottle which would suggest that there is enough?) or possibly an air bubble in the circuit that carries coolant to the core and back to the engine (was the system drained and refilled recently?) or possibly there is a build-up of crud in the heater core tubes. You could verify that there is sufficient coolant, then feel the two hoses that go through the fire wall to the heater core in the cabin after you have driven it for a bit. The two hoses should feel about equally hot if the flow through the core is good. If not, then you might  disconnect the hoses at the firewall and flush domestic water from a hose through the core and out, in both directions, to clean out the crud in the core. Then reconnect the hoses and refill the coolant as described in the manual (which I don't have for '97, my oldest is for the '04 model year). I can tell you the instructions for the '04 year if you don't have any instructions on refilling.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).