Dodge Repair/1997 dodge ram idles rough and stalls warm

i have a 97 ram 2500 pick up 5.9L gas. starts and runs great cold. when the engine warms up it starts idling rough,sputters,feel a slight miss, can here popping out the exhaust at times. it will also stall, it will restart but idle poor and do the above. if you let it sit and cool off, it will run great till it warms up. cap,rotor,wires, idle motor,tp,cleaner throttle body.  i can unplug the air temp sensor and that doesnt make any difference. i do have code p1391. i did unpug the crank sensor and cam senor( at seperate times) and the truck would just not start till plugged back in. some tell me it could be the fuel pump? i hate to just keep throwing parts at it that are not fixing anything. any help would be great.

Hi Mike,
If the 1391 is persistent then the code means in general that either the cam or crank sensor or its wires are at fault. I don't have the manual for a 5.9L engine so I am not certain that you have a crank or a cam rotational position sensor in the usual sense of the terms because you say that you have a distributor. When that is the case it may wekk mean that there is only a crankshaft position sensor as the distributor takes care of the spark plug distribution usually handled by the cam sensor.
Also, a sensor is a device which when it starts to fail usually does so as it warms up. So my suggestion would be to get a crankshaft position sensor and replace the old one. The sensor is usually straightforward to replace and should cost around $50. Before doing that you might also want to inspect its wires and while the engine is idling gently move its wire harness to test whether there could be a wiring issue. But if indeed you don't have a cam sensor as such then the logical part to replace would be the crankshaft position sensor.
Please let me know what you learn.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).