Dodge Repair/'96 Avenger wipers won't stop

Question
My battery ran down now my wipers won't turn off.  What could be causing this?

Answer
Hi Acy,
The 'wipers won't stop' could be due to three possible causes:
the wiper motor, the intermittent wiper relay, or the wiper switch. My suspicion would be the intermittent wiper relay, which has to close and then open to produce intermittent action, is stuck in the closed position It is located inside the steering column proper, just in front of the wiper/washer multifunction switch at about 8 o'clock on the column as viewed from the driver seat. You could remove the lower plastic cover of the steering column from the underside, and there you would find it, likely plugged directly into the combination switch itself. You could get one out of an Avenger for the years '95-'00  at a wrecking yard, or check the cost of a new one at a dealer.
There is also an 'on-off' switch inside the wiper motor proper which could be stuck 'on' but that motor would likely be more expensive and less likely the cause. Is purpose is the "park" the wipers when you turn them off.
You could try tapping at the point of the steering column which I described above as the location of the relay to see if you might get it open up on its own accord. If that doesn't work than remove the lower cover of the column and remove the relay. You might be able to open it to see if the points inside are indeed stuck closed.
I can Xerox copy 8 pages from the '95 manual and postal mail them to you at a cost of 3 postage stamps if you want to get into an electrical checkout of the circuit using a volt-ohm meter which would positively reveal which of the three is bad.
You could remove fuse 9 in the fuse box in the cabin to temporarily stop the wiper, but that will also disable the remote keyless entry system.
Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the 'pool' to which it had been referred by the other expert, Kevin.
Roland

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston