Dodge Repair/gas tank

QUESTION: How do you get the alternator out, from bottom or top? How much stuff do you need to remove?

ANSWER: What is the year/make/model/engine(L) size?

QUESTION: 2004/Dodge/Stratus/2.7L

ANSWER: Hi Steve,
Both. You start by raising the vehicle on the right front side, remove the tire and then the splash shield for access to the front of the engine. Then you remove the lower alternator bolt and the alternator drive belt (loosen tensioner locking bolt and pivot bolt). Then you lower the vehicle and remove the wires on the alternator and on the AC pressure switch and the AC clutch. The remove the engine oil dipstick. Then remove the upper alternator bolts and then the alternator. Assembly is the reverse.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

QUESTION: When filling my gas tank, it takes a long time I can only add small volume of gas. Plus there is a vacuum and the tank will collapse if I run it low on gas. Do you have a diagnosis?

Hi Steve,
There is a system at the tank that collects gas vapors and recycles them into the engine shortly after the vehicle is started up. It has a vacuum pump and many moving parts and probably one of the valves is stuck closed or one of the associated hose lines is collapsed. There should be a fault code stored in the engine controller that would give you some direction as to where to look for repair. A nationwide auto parts store, such as Autozone, will often do a code readout for free or an independent shop might charge about $40 to do it. Let me know the code number. I can copy pages from the manual and attach them to an email that I will send to you directly which describe the details of the vapor recovery system and for correcting the specific fault code.
When you tell me your email don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or the address will be automatically erased.
Thanks for doing a rating/nomination.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).