Dodge Repair/Pinion seal rear: Durango

2000 dodge Durango rear pinion seal . Trying to replace but auto parts said there are 3 for the same car . Why three and without taking it off how do I know which one is on my car.

Hi Brian,
There are likely 3 different sizes of rear differential. Is your Durango the lightest duty of the trucks? If so, then you would want the seal for the 8 1/4, while the larger weight models would either be 9 1/4 or 10 1/2 (this is based upon my '04 Durango service manual so I can't be certain if the same applied to the '00) Probably the dealer parts counter might be able to help you identify which size differentil you have via the specs of the vehicle or the body code plate on it.
There are some detailed instructions and a special tool or two that you would want to have to do the job properly so let me know which size you have and I can then send you by email the pages that show how. If you tell me your email address don't use the @ symbol, instead use "at" or the address will be erased from your follow-up question automatically.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).