Dodge Repair/power stearing

QUESTION: I have replaced my power stearing 6 times now. For some reason my belt keeps comin half way off an messing up tha pulley on tha pump.  I hv changed the tention pulley an it did good for a week an went bk out lastnite. It doesnt hv power stearing anyway I can pore fluid in t an it will b gone by tha time I get wr I need to go. Its leaking from the gear box were rod goes in. The gasket is leaking. But my question is wats making it keep doing that.  Can I just bypass tha power stearing with another size belt?

ANSWER: Hi Cody,
If you are loosing fluid from the steering gear box itself then that has to be replaced. The pump is being damaged because it runs out of fluid. If you want to replace it yourself tell me the year and model and I may be able to send you the pages that describe how to do that.

QUESTION: I hv had this truck for 8 months now. An the first 5 months it has been fine with no power stearing an I decided to fix it with another pump an thts when the trouble started is not messing up the pump its the pulley itself. The shaft the pulley goes the baring inside tha pump tht turns the pully. The pulley get cocked sideways an rubs the bracket. So thr for it breaks my belt. Anyway im tryn to say its not because of the no fluid in it. Is something else tht is putin tention on the belt to make tha pulley on pump turn sideways an break. I think im goin to bypass it with a shorter belt cause I cant afford to fix all tht right now.

OK, but if the steering gear loose fluid fast, then that cause the pump to run dry and fail as you described. When you put on a new pump did you notice whether fluid was coming out of the steering gear soon after that? If so, then I think the problem is the steering gear is draining the fluid which then damages the pump because it won't run without fluid circulating through it.  

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).