Dodge Repair/runs great in warm weather, but runs like it is out of time in cold weather.

Got a 2000 Dodge Durango. Last Spring the head gaskets were changed after it had been sitting for a couple of years. Started it up, it ran a little ruff and dieseling when you shut it off as if it was the timing. Checked the timing, the timing was fine. Spring turned to summer and the Durango ran great all summer. Now that the cold weather is here again, it is running ruff and dieseling when you shut it off. It runs great when it is warm, but runs like the timing is bad when it is cold. I think it is a sensor but don't know what one. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Ray,
The best way to diagnose this is to take advantage of the built-in diagnostic capability. I don't have an '00 Durango manual, but many of the vehicles of that time-frame can tell you if they have detected a sensor problem by using the ignition key, Turn it "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window in the cluster to see if the mileage reading is replaced by a four digit number preceded by a P.
If that doesn't work then there is a socket under the dash into which a fault code reader is plugged to get that four digit number. A nationwide auto parts store (e.g. Autozone) will often do that for free or an independent shop may charge around $40.
Anyway that you get the number(s) let me know what they are and we'll go from there. Tell me which size (L) engine you have.

Dodge Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question or asleep overnight so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top expert" from 2010-2015 here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles.

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).